S.R. 235/ Byron Rd.
State Route 235 and Byron Road
This project is to enhance safety conditions at the intersection of State Route 235 and Byron Road by installing a left turn lane on SR 235 and relocating the north leg and south cul-de-sac leg of Byron Rd.
November 4, 2022 Governor DeWine announces 50 new Traffic Safety Projects
The intersection of State Route 235 and Byron Road is located in Bath Township just outside Fairborn Ohio.
This intersection is currently a rural, 40 degree skewed, intersection with an overhead flasher with a 55mph speed limit on SR-235. Crash data from 2019 to 2021 indicates:
- 16 crashes
- 31% injuries, 2 serious injuries
- Fatality in early 2022 (curve related)
- 11 angle crashes, 6 Northbound/ westbound
- 81% on dry pavement
- 81% during daylight
- 13% in AM peak, 13% in PM peak
- 0 involve drugs/ alcohol
Previous attempts have been made to improve safety conditions at the SR-235/ Byron Road intersection, including the following mitigation measures:
- Dual stop signs on both legs on Bryon Rd.
- "Cross traffic does not stop" plaques below all stop signs
- Dual curve/ intersection warning signs on both SR-235 approaches
- Relocated stop bar on both legs of Byron Rd. to improve intersection skew
- Installed overhead flasher
- Install eastbound left turn lane on SR-235
- Relocate north leg of Byron Rd. to reduce intersection skew and improve sight distance
- Cul-de-sac south leg of Byron Rd. to eliminate cut through traffic
Other Countermeasures Considered:
- Relocate south leg
- The Greene County Engineer secured 90% County Engineers Association of Ohio (CEAO) Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) federal funding in 2021 to perform a safety study of this intersection
- In November, 2022, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) in collaboration with the Greene County Engineer secured $2.4 million in ODOT Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds for engineering, right-of-way, environmental, and construction
- Estimated total cost (FY 2027) includes engineering, right-of-way, and construction $2.4 million
ODOT is working on securing the design consultant contract for the actual intersection project with proposed construction.
Stage 1 Plans and Prelim R/W Plans October 2023
Stage 2 Plans and R/W Plans May 2024
Stage 3 Plans and R/W Plans April 2025
Right of Way Acquisition September 2024/2025
Sale January 2026
Construction May 2026