Contesting Your Value

Your Home. Your Value logo (GIF) Opens in new window

Challenging the Value of Your Property

How Do I challenge the value of my property?

To challenge a property valuation, complete a Complaint Against the Valuation of Real Property (DTE 1) form and file with the auditor between January 1st and March 31st of the following tax year          .

  • Valuation complaints must relate to the total fair market value of both land and buildings                
    • The board hears complaints on property valuations - not tax dollars
    • The burden of proof is on the complainant         
  • The complainant should submit any documents supporting the claimed valuation before the hearing and can include the following information:                
    • Purchase and lease agreements                    
    • Closing statements                    
    • Appraisal reports                    
    • Construction costs                    
    • Rent rolls                    
    • Detailed income and expense statements
  • All hearings and documents submitted to the board are public record and decisions will be mailed to all parties
  • For a full listing of applications and forms to challenge the property value, please visit the Document Center

Challenging the Classification (CAUV) of Your Property     

To challenge the classification (CAUV) of your property, complete a Complaint Against the Classification (CAUV) of Real Property (DTE 2) form and file with the auditor on or before March 31 of the following tax year.

Board of Revision

Property owners may appeal property valuations through the Greene County Board of Revisions.  The board consists of three members:

  • County Auditor
  • County Treasurer
  • County Commissioner President


If you have received a final order from the Board of Revision and you wish to appeal the decision, an appeal of the board's decision may be filed with the Board of Tax Appeals or the Common Pleas Court pursuant to O.R.C. 5717.01 and O.R.C. 5717.05 of the Ohio Revised Code.

The appeal must be filed within thirty days after the final appeal notice has been mailed. A copy of the appeal must also be filed with the Greene County Auditor.