Veterans Discharge

File your military discharge papers or DD214 in the Recorder’s Office at no cost to you. Recording your discharge papers ensures that they are readily available if your original copy is lost, damaged, or destroyed. To record, bring an Original or a Certified Copy of your Military Discharge and/or DD214 to the Recorder's Office. After you record your DD214, we will return the original to you and also provide you with certified copies, also at no charge. You can request additional no-fee certified copies at any time during our normal business hours.

Rest assured, military discharge papers are kept in a secure area not accessible to the public, and we will only release them to authorized parties. Please refer to the Ohio Revised Code section 317.24 for more information about safeguarding your DD214 in the Greene County Recorder’s Office.

If you are out of the area and need a copy of your recorded discharge papers, please complete

our Veteran’s Discharge Request form. Please call the Greene County Recorder’s Office at (937) 562-5270 for assistance completing the form.

Authorized Parties

Effective April 7, 2009, with the passage of Senate Bill 248, veteran’s discharge records are no longer considered public record. Therefore, only "authorized parties" are allowed to view or receive a copy of any DD214. Authorized party is defined as follows:

  • The person who is the subject of the record of discharge
  • A county veterans service officer, or attorney-in-fact, agent or other representative of the person who is the subject of the record of discharge, if authorized to inspect or copy the record of discharge by that person in a power of attorney or other document
  • A person authorized, for good cause shown, by a court of record to inspect or copy the record of discharge
  • If the person who is subject of the record of discharge is deceased, the executor or administrator, or an heir, legatee, or devisee, of the person’s estate or a funeral director who is to perform the funeral for the deceased person
  • If such person is not authorized, only redacted copies containing name, rank, date of birth, date of discharge and type of discharge will be provided

If you need a copy of a military discharge and you are not the service member listed on the discharge, please complete our Veteran’s Discharge Request Form.