Clock Tower

Out of the Clock Tower

Hello and welcome to the Greene County Archives' blog, "Out of the Clock Tower".  Please join us as we share information on archival issues, news, special events, and highlights from our collection.

Before the archives program began in Greene County in 1996, permanent records were stored in every conceivable space, in basements, garages, and closets. Usually they were in boxes of various shapes and sizes, although seldom adequately labeled, but occasionally they were just in loose piles of books and papers. Most notable were the old records stuffed into the clock tower of the County Courthouse, where they shared their home with pigeon droppings.

Now, there is a clean, environmentally controlled, well appointed location for the county archives, where our historical records are housed in standard sized boxes on steel shelves. We have taken note of their journey in the name for our blog.

View All Posts

Feb 08

The Glossinger Cultural Center

Posted on February 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM by Melissa Dalton

We are getting close to the end of our series on the sketches of historic buildings in Greene County. This week, we look into the history of the Glossinger Cultural Center, which housed the offices and meeting space of the Greene County Historical Society prior to the 1974 tornado (Fig 1).

Fig 1. Sketch by Richard L. Mauck of the Glossinger Cultural Center featured in the Xenia Daily Gaze
Fig 1. Sketch by Richard L. Mauck of the Glossinger Cultural Center featured in the Xenia Daily Gazette, dated August 21, 1974 (Greene County Archives)

As we learned last week, the Greene County Historical Society moved from Second and Monroe Streets to West Church Street (corner of King Street) after generous donations from Charles Snediker and John Glossinger allowed the Society to purchase said properties. The Moorehead property included a house and brick carriage house, and the house on the adjacent property became the Glossinger Cultural Center. The only building moved to the property was the Galloway log house.

The house that was to become the Glossinger Cultural Center was purchased through the donation of John Glossinger, and in turn, was named for him. Although it was used as the administration building, it did house many artifacts appropriate for the period and style of the home. By doing a bit of research on the deeds and tax records, we can provide a bit of history on the house itself.

In 1874, the large piece of property on the corner of King and Church streets was purchased by two individuals by the last names of Barrows and Butler. In 1875, the tax records indicate there were improvements made to the property, showing the completion of a house and stable on the property. Once complete, Barrows and Butler parceled out the property into four sections, each keeping a section for themselves, and selling the other two. The section of consequence is the one sold to William Foglesong.

Foglesong bought the property in 1875, but in 1877, he tried to sell the property as he was indebted to his lender (and apparently others). A legal battle ensued, and Foglesong and Samuel Crumbaugh (who was subsequently added to the case as Foglesong’s partner), were indicted for trying to defraud the creditors and delay or hinder collection of said debts. In the end, the bank gained ownership of the property, and they sold it to George K. Halladay in 1878 as part of the settlement (Fig 2).

Fig 2. Excerpt from the Greene County Common Pleas Final Record No. 18 p. 507 (JPG)
Fig 2. Excerpt from Greene County Common Pleas Final Record No. 18, pg. 507 (Greene County Archives)

Halladay owned the property for almost twenty years, and according to the tax records, added a dwelling to the property in 1890. In 1904, he sold a large portion of the property to Mary Little. Little made a few improvements to the property in 1905, but the tax records do not indicate what those improvements were. Little didn’t keep the property long, and sold to William M. Wilson in 1909. Wilson kept the property for about a decade, and sold to Walter R. Harner in 1921.

Walter Harner held the property the longest, owning it from 1921 to 1959. The tax records do not indicate much about improvements to the property, so we are not sure what sort of changes were made over the years. In 1959, Harner sold the property to Glenna and Harold Murray, who in turn, sold to the Greene County Ohio Historical Society in 1963, giving the house and property a new life as part of Greene County’s enduring history (Fig 3).

Fig 3. Glossinger Cultural Center prior to 1974 tornado (JPG)
Fig 3. Glossinger Cultural Center prior to 1974 tornado (Greene County Archives)

Sadly, roughly ten years after the acquisition, the 1974 tornado ripped through Xenia, destroying the Glossinger Cultural Center (Fig 4). The damage was too severe and the Society was unable to salvage the house. Fortunately, the Society was able to purchase another house, in the Queen Anne style, and moved it to the complex as a replacement. Today, that house still sits on the corner of King and Church streets.

Fig 4. Image of the damage to the Glossinger Cultural Center after the 1974 tornado (JPG)
Fig 4. Image of the damage to the Glossinger Cultural Center after the 1974 tornado (Greene County Archives)

We have two historic buildings left to cover – the Snediker Barn/Museum and the Moorehead House – so stay tuned!

Until Next Time…


Greene County Archives

Hutslar, D. A. (1974). Crossroads: The Xenia tornado, a retrospective view. Ohio History, 83(3), 192-211.

Wilson, C. (2010). Historic Greene County: An illustrated history. San Antonio, TX: Historical Publishing Network.


You must log in before leaving your comment