Clock Tower

Out of the Clock Tower

Hello and welcome to the Greene County Archives' blog, "Out of the Clock Tower".  Please join us as we share information on archival issues, news, special events, and highlights from our collection.

Before the archives program began in Greene County in 1996, permanent records were stored in every conceivable space, in basements, garages, and closets. Usually they were in boxes of various shapes and sizes, although seldom adequately labeled, but occasionally they were just in loose piles of books and papers. Most notable were the old records stuffed into the clock tower of the County Courthouse, where they shared their home with pigeon droppings.

Now, there is a clean, environmentally controlled, well appointed location for the county archives, where our historical records are housed in standard sized boxes on steel shelves. We have taken note of their journey in the name for our blog.

View All Posts

Dec 14

Xenia's Holiday Home Tour Part I

Posted on December 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM by Elise Kelly

Holiday Home Tour 2016
This past weekend, some of the current and former staff members of the Archives participated in Xenia’s Holiday Home Tour. We had the wonderful opportunity to see up close some of Xenia’s most beautiful historical homes on North King Street.

Before heading to King Street, we wandered through this Victorian Town House managed by the Greene County Historical Society. The home was built during the mid-1870s by William and Florence McGervey.
                                              74 W. Church Street

Before the McGervey’s left Xenia during the 1890s, they added a turret to the house in 1890. The house’s exterior design is an off-shoot of the Queen Anne style. Inside we were greeted with rich Victorian colors, furnishings and antiques all of which decorated large, expansive rooms.


Did you know that this home, located at the corner of North King and West Church Streets, was relocated after the 1974 Xenia Tornado? Here is a photograph of the home moving in. The photograph is part of the Greene County Ohio Historical Society's collection.

Prior to it being moved, the home used to sit at the southeast corner of North Detroit and East Church Streets.

Leaving the Town House, we made our way down North King Street. We first ventured into this 1916 home that was built by a Xenia banker named Marshall Wolf. Wolf built the home for his daughter. It is an American Four Square style house – (sometimes called “Prairie Box). This style was very popular throughout the United States during the 1890s-1930s. With its simple design and adaptable layout, it fit perfectly along a city block like North King Street.
                                             365 N. King Street

When we entered the house, a large, friendly poodle greeted us at the door. Much of the interior of the “Prairie Box” home was decorated with a more modern style, however, the baseboards were made of marble. When the bank, where Mr. Marshall worked, was renovated in 1914, he incorporated the bank’s marble baseboards in the home.

Just across the street is this gorgeous 1870s Italianate style home.
                                             364 N. King Street

This was our next destination. A brilliant businessman and craftsman, Samuel Patterson had the house built around 1875. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Inside visitors are greeted with a beautiful elaborate stairwell.


The house’s interior is designed with rich, elegant walnut and butternut woodwork.




Several houses along North King Street were destroyed in the 1974 tornado. The Samuel Patterson house was badly damaged. However, the owner at the time decided to restore the house instead of demolishing it. The city of Xenia and its residents are very thankful that this classical house still stands!

Next week we will discuss and show photographs of the other two houses on the Holiday Home Tour.

Until Next Time!

This Week's Trivia Question: Name another house that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places located on North King Street.

Answer to Last Week's Trivia Question:
In what year was the Virginia Military District opened for settlement? Answer: 1794.


You must log in before leaving your comment